Dog Surrenders Up 25% in Comparison to Last Year
Riverdale Animal Shelter, like many shelters in the Denver metro area, has been taking in a higher number of animals this year. To help more adoptable pets at the shelter find loving homes this holiday season, families can name their own adoption fee in December.
This adoption special is good for dogs and cats six months and older and small companion animals. Adoptions are limited to one pet per family unless they are a bonded pair, and some other exclusions may apply. This event is taking place through Dec. 31 during normal business hours, Monday–Friday, 11 a.m.–6 p.m., and Saturday, 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Adoption visits must be completed one hour prior to close.
“We continue to receive a high number of animals at our shelter, including many pets surrendered by their owners due to financial or other personal stressors. Dog surrenders alone are up nearly 25% over this time last year,” said Stephanie Wilde, Riverdale Animal Shelter Executive Director. “Additionally, many of these displaced pets are already used to living with a family so we hope our adoption special will help them find a new welcoming home this holiday season.”
If you are not able to adopt, there are other ways to help reduce the high numbers of pets coming to the shelter:
- Make sure your pet’s microchip and license information is up to date and they are wearing a collar and ID tag.
- Become a foster parent and help care for animals until they can be placed in their forever homes.
- If you need to give up your pet due to difficult circumstances, the shelter may be able to point you to resources to help you keep your pet. However, if your circumstances are more pressing or you have an emergency, they are always there to help.
- If you do not find your next furry friend at Riverdale Animal Shelter, consider adopting from another Colorado shelter.
- Other ways to help: consider volunteering or donating to an animal shelter, rescue group, or low-cost veterinary clinic in your community.
For more information, visit riverdaleanimalshelter.org, call 720.523.7387, or email email@example.com.
Riverdale Animal Shelter opened their new facility in the fall of 2020. It is located at the south end of Riverdale Regional Park in Brighton at 120th Ave. and Park Blvd. They provide safe shelter and care to more than 6,000 animals per year. Follow Riverdale Animal Shelter on Facebook and Instagram.