The Adams County Veterans Advisory Commission (VAC) is hosting a naming contest for the new veterans’ memorial opening in Riverdale Regional Park in late 2022. This contest is only open to Adams County students 18 years old or younger.
“Remembering our veterans and recognizing those who gave the ultimate sacrifice are why this memorial is being built,” said Adams County Commissioner Charles “Chaz” Tedesco, a U.S. Navy veteran and member of the VAC. “Engaging our youth in this process ensures those sacrifices aren’t forgotten.”
Once complete, the memorial will be a life-sized model of the USS Colorado battleship, with the bow jutting into the lake, and the current trail passing through the site.
“The memorial is just one of the many ambitious plans Adams County has for the Riverdale Regional Park,” said Interim County Manager Alisha Reis. “I’m excited we can involve the community in naming the memorial.”
Visit our website to see renderings of the memorial and a video of the groundbreaking ceremony.
- Submission cannot use a person’s name.
- Submission must be five words or less in length.
- Submission cannot contain any copyrighted names and/or language.
- Entrants must be 18 years old or younger and attend school in Adams County.
- Deadline to submit an entry is Friday, Feb. 11, 2022.
To be considered, entries must include:
- Subject line “Veterans Memorial Naming Competition”
- Name, age, school, and contact information of entrant
- Signed submission form (if under 18 parents must sign)
Learn more about the contest at adcogov.org/veterans-memorial-naming-contest.
The Veterans Advisory Commission is made up of nine members who together fulfill the commission’s three-prong purpose:
- Gather together veterans from within the county to help assess challenges veterans face, open the dialog, and propose solutions or partnerships for veterans.
- Work cooperatively with other county boards, councils, and staff regarding policies, programs, and concerns relating to veterans’ interests and facilitate new working relationships with all other agencies serving veterans within the county.
- Act as an advisory commission to the Board of County Commissioners about veterans’ issues within the county.